my wish list

Do you have an idea or improvement for TB? Or you can see what others are sugesting.

Moderator: Infinity

the commisioner

my wish list

Post by the commisioner »

These are the wishes I would like to, well wish, for future updates and changes to the game. To wit:
  • 1. Like fellow user Boerboel, I would like to see the animated fighters linked to the actual appearance of said fighters. It's really odd to see, for example, a white Joe Frazier fighting a black Jack Dempsey. Linking to nationalities would not, imo, be enough. If fighters were linked by nationality, what animation would automatically link an English and also black Lennox Lewis? What about immigrant nations like all of the Americas, Australia, and New Zealand? Would they link to the white or the black fighter?
  • 2. Since the game includes women fighters, it would probably be a good idea to have animated female boxers, as well. If mistaken skin colour stretches the suspension of disbelief, having two male animations representing two female fighters outright snaps it.
  • 3. Perhaps, in the future, you might think of including an amateur list as well as professional. While I doubt many players are interested in the regional Golden Gloves contenders at their local gym, I (at least) would enjoy matching various all-time greats at their amateur peaks. Imagine Lennox Lewis circa the Seoul Olympics versus Muhammad Ali circa the Rome Olympics. Also this would allow the competition of the outstanding Cold War era fighters from Iron Curtain countries, who never got to compete professionally. Personally I have always thought that the great Cuban fighter Teofilo Stevenson would be wonderful to match in Title Bout fights, but that has never been possible without creating a completely conjectural what-would-he-be-like version, had he been allowed to turn pro after, say, the 1972 Olympics.
  • 4. Again, like Boerboel, I would like to see the action of the animated fighters more closely follow the commentary, not just fall over when knocked down, but move around the ring, be on the ropes, or clinch, etc., as the commentary describes it.
  • 5. I know that developing all the data bases takes time, and for many fighters and cornermen it may be impossible, but where it is possible, it would be great if the game would automatically link fighters to the appropriate cornermen who handled them during their careers, rather than having to search out the right cornermen by hand (if one even knows them). Concomitant with this, I would, eventually, like to see appropriate photographs with the cornermen, just as there are with the fighters.
  • 6. Lastly, I wish that the data bases for Title Bout 2013 could be kept in an easily read/editable format like .txt or .csv, as sometimes it's quicker and easier to modify one's game by editing the text file directly, rather than within the game interface. I'm guessing the database is the userdata.tar.gz file, yes? Is .gz a GNU Zipped Archive file format? A quick Google search suggests that a .tar file could be many things, a UNIX tape archive file, a Consolidated Unix Archive, even an "unknown Apple II file". While I might be able to figure out how to unpack the database into something I could read and change, I have no idea how to repackage it into the .tar.gz form so that Title Bout 2013 could use it again.
Anyway, those are my wishes. I hope I have neither been too demanding and greedy, nor too verbose in expressing them. :)
Paul Norman
Site Admin

Re: my wish list

Post by Paul Norman »

the commisioner wrote:These are the wishes I would like to, well wish, for future updates and changes to the game. To wit:
  • 1. Like fellow user Boerboel, I would like to see the animated fighters linked to the actual appearance of said fighters. It's really odd to see, for example, a white Joe Frazier fighting a black Jack Dempsey. Linking to nationalities would not, imo, be enough. If fighters were linked by nationality, what animation would automatically link an English and also black Lennox Lewis? What about immigrant nations like all of the Americas, Australia, and New Zealand? Would they link to the white or the black fighter?
  • 2. Since the game includes women fighters, it would probably be a good idea to have animated female boxers, as well. If mistaken skin colour stretches the suspension of disbelief, having two male animations representing two female fighters outright snaps it.
  • 3. Perhaps, in the future, you might think of including an amateur list as well as professional. While I doubt many players are interested in the regional Golden Gloves contenders at their local gym, I (at least) would enjoy matching various all-time greats at their amateur peaks. Imagine Lennox Lewis circa the Seoul Olympics versus Muhammad Ali circa the Rome Olympics. Also this would allow the competition of the outstanding Cold War era fighters from Iron Curtain countries, who never got to compete professionally. Personally I have always thought that the great Cuban fighter Teofilo Stevenson would be wonderful to match in Title Bout fights, but that has never been possible without creating a completely conjectural what-would-he-be-like version, had he been allowed to turn pro after, say, the 1972 Olympics.
  • 4. Again, like Boerboel, I would like to see the action of the animated fighters more closely follow the commentary, not just fall over when knocked down, but move around the ring, be on the ropes, or clinch, etc., as the commentary describes it.
  • 5. I know that developing all the data bases takes time, and for many fighters and cornermen it may be impossible, but where it is possible, it would be great if the game would automatically link fighters to the appropriate cornermen who handled them during their careers, rather than having to search out the right cornermen by hand (if one even knows them). Concomitant with this, I would, eventually, like to see appropriate photographs with the cornermen, just as there are with the fighters.
  • 6. Lastly, I wish that the data bases for Title Bout 2013 could be kept in an easily read/editable format like .txt or .csv, as sometimes it's quicker and easier to modify one's game by editing the text file directly, rather than within the game interface. I'm guessing the database is the userdata.tar.gz file, yes? Is .gz a GNU Zipped Archive file format? A quick Google search suggests that a .tar file could be many things, a UNIX tape archive file, a Consolidated Unix Archive, even an "unknown Apple II file". While I might be able to figure out how to unpack the database into something I could read and change, I have no idea how to repackage it into the .tar.gz form so that Title Bout 2013 could use it again.
Anyway, those are my wishes. I hope I have neither been too demanding and greedy, nor too verbose in expressing them. :)
Thank you for your comments I will add those that arn't already there, to my list..

As for the database, .gz does indeed mean its a gzip file and the tar part is a tape archive. While the tar command that created the tar file started on Unix for writing files to a tape device but nowadays it is used to write a bunch of files/folders into a tar file using the same format. So together the two act as a zip file, the tar writes the files into one then the gzip compresses it. The difference is tar and gzip are open source and dont have any copywrite or patent issues unlike standard zip. You should be able to read and write the .tar.gz file with all good zip programs.

That said, when you first start the game you may recall the dialog that said it was copying your data. It was "unziping" this data file to your "My Documents/tbcb2013/data/" so its already unziped for you. In the "import_data" folder is all the startup data in XML format so you can change it if you wish. Also if you want to make bluk changes to your fighters look at the csv options on the fighters table.
Cap

Re: my wish list

Post by Cap »

I would like to see the animated figures match the colours of the boxers represented again. Surely, this is a basic requirement for 2014. Once the colours are available it should be simple to have them connected to the skin colour already listed for each fighter or at least allow the gamer to choose colours before the fight commences.

As for having the animations even more animated, this will eventually make the text commentary redundant. Do we really want to go that route? I submit it is virtually impossible to read the commentary and watch the animation at the same time. You would need spoken commentary, and this would be lame at best.

The designers need to concentrate on fixing the few complaints that devotees have with the fight engine and or resultant statistics.